Srinagar, March 28: Dr. Shubham Jain, HOD And Consultant - Surgical Oncology, HCMCT Manipal Hospitals, Dwarka, Delhi explained the Dos and Don’ts of lung cancer. She said lung cancer is a serious diagnosis, but with the right treatment plan, it is possible to manage the disease and maintain a good quality of life.
“Smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer. It is also responsible for most cancers of the larynx, oral cavity, and oesophagus. However, despite this knowledge, lung cancer rates continue to surge,” she said. “Lung cancer claims more lives each year than colon, breast, and prostate cancers combined. Despite this grim statistic, there is hope for those diagnosed with lung cancer.”
Dr. Jain said the symptoms of lung cancer can vary depending on the individual and the stage of the disease. However, some common symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pain and hoarseness.
“If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, it is important to talk to your doctor about all of your treatment options. Thanks to advances in medical science, lung cancer is no longer a death sentence the cancer has spread,” she said.
Dr. Shubham Jain, who regularly visits Friends Hospital, Srinagar to offer consultation and treatment to the people of Srinagar, shares some Dos and Don’ts to keep in mind during treatment:
• Stay positive and optimistic
• Follow your treatment plan as prescribed by your doctor
• Eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise
• Join a support group or seek counselling if you’re struggling emotionally
• Ignore early symptoms or downplay the seriousness of your diagnosis
• Miss doctor’s appointments or fail to take medications as prescribed
• Isolate yourself from loved ones or neglect your self-care
• Give up hope – with treatment, many people with lung cancer live for years after their diagnosis.