Nutrition: CHILDHOOD OBESITY
Post by Rupali Datta, RD on Sunday, September 18, 2022
Childhood obesity has detrimental long term effects on health. Childhood is a learning time , along with other things it is important to teach children how to eat healthy so that you empower them to make healthy choices.
Prevention is better than cure:
- As a parent you need to start eating healthy.
- Get them used to home made food with fresh ingredients.
- Letting them eat High salt, sugar and fat foods with no nutrients will teach them to reject fresh flavours.
- Make sure that the child eats servings of vegetables and two Fruits daily.
- Nuts and dry fruits are good snack choices, keep the commercial packaged snacks out of the home.
- Instead of sweetened packed juices, give them water, fresh coconut water, milk, lassi, and chaas.
- Limit screen time, for this you also need to reduce yours. Content monitoring is also important. Children pick up habits from audio visual media very quickly.
- A dedicated exercise time, ideally you should also accompany them. Family holidays can include treks, cycling and walking expeditions.
Rupali Datta, RD
Founder Diet Decisions
DDPHN, RD, EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEMBER IDA