RK News Service

Srinagar, May 19: Apni Party president Syed Mohammad Altaf Bukhari on Tuesday criticised the demolition drive carried out in Jammu’s Sidhra area, terming it “ruthless” and seeking immediate intervention by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.

The demolition drive, during which authorities reportedly razed more than two dozen huts and temporary structures, triggered protests by affected families who alleged that the action was unjustified and targeted a particular community.

In a statement, Bukhari questioned the manner in which the operation was conducted and alleged that families were forcibly evicted without proper legal procedure.

“The manner in which the Sidhra demolition drive was carried out is deeply concerning. Reports suggest the operation continued for several hours in an area largely inhabited by members of the nomadic Gujjar community,” he said.

The Apni Party chief said several affected families claimed they had been residing in the area for years and alleged they were not served prior notices before the demolition.

“If these claims are true, it raises serious questions about the legality of the entire exercise,” he said.

Bukhari also expressed concern over allegations that the drive was conducted in a biased manner targeting a particular community.

“The most disturbing aspect is the growing perception that this drive was carried out with bias against a particular community. Even such a perception can damage the social fabric and hard-earned peace in the Union Territory,” he said.

Seeking government intervention, Bukhari urged the Chief Minister to order a fair and transparent inquiry into the matter and ensure justice for the affected families.

He said the departments involved in the anti-encroachment drive function under the elected government and therefore accountability must be fixed.

By RK NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *