Srinagar, April 02: Indian Army retaliated strongly after the Pakistan Army violated the ceasefire by opening fire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district.
Indian Army on Wednesday said that the Pakistan Army had intruded across the Line of Control (LoC) and violated the ceasefire in Poonch district’s Krishna Ghati sector in Jammu region.
Army PRO Lt Colonel Suneel Bartwal said that the violation was “responded to effectively in a controlled and calibrated manner.”
“On April 1, a mine blast occurred in Krishna Ghati Sector due to Pakistan Army intrusion across LoC. This was followed by unprovoked firing and ceasefire violation by the Pakistan Army,” he said.
Lt Col Bartwal said that own troops responded effectively in a controlled and calibrated manner. “Situation is under control and being closely monitored,” he said.
“The Indian Army continues to dominate the LoC. The situation is under control,” the spokesman added.
When asked about the mine blast, the PRO explained that both sides have their own perceptions of the LoC due to the absence of a clear demarcation. He suggested that someone might have inadvertently stepped over it, triggering the explosion.
Meanwhile, officials said that the incident occurred in the Nangi Tikri area of the Krishna Ghati sector.
The development comes ahead of Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s scheduled visit to Jammu and Kashmir on April 7-8. It also coincides with an ongoing 11-day-long security operation against militants in Kathua district.
Security forces have so far killed two terrorists, while searches continue for three others in the dense forests of the Ramkote area.
Four policemen lost their lives when terrorists, taking advantage of their elevated position, opened fire on a search party on March 27.
The five-member terrorist group is believed to have crossed the international border from Pakistan into Kathua last week. Security forces first engaged them on March 23 in the forests of Saniyal village, but the terrorists managed to escape.