• 12-yr-old found near home after overnight search
  • SIT constituted, all angles under investigation
  • Prima facie case of rape & murder: SSP
  • Police warn against sharing victim’s identity

Arif Rashid

Srinagar, May 24: The shocking death of a 12-year-old girl in the Galwanpora-Sebdan area of central Kashmir’s Budgam district has triggered widespread outrage and grief, with police on Sunday stating that the case, prima facie, appears to be one of rape and murder.

Senior police officials said a massive investigation has been launched, while a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by DySP Headquarters Budgam has been constituted to probe the incident in a “fair, transparent and professional manner”.

According to police, information regarding the disappearance of the minor girl was received at Police Station Budgam at around 10 pm on Friday after the child reportedly went missing from her residence during evening hours.

“Acting promptly on the complaint, FIR No. 139/2026 was registered under relevant provisions of law, and extensive search operations were launched immediately,” a police spokesperson said.

Officials said the body of the minor was recovered during the early morning hours on Saturday at a short distance from her residence, following which medico-legal and forensic procedures were initiated.

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Budgam, Hariprasad K.K., told reporters that all possible angles were being examined and that several suspects were being questioned as part of the investigation.

“At this stage, prima facie, it appears to be a case of rape and murder and all relevant sections of law have been added,” he said, adding that evidence collection, seizure and verification processes were simultaneously underway.

Describing the incident as the “top priority” of Budgam Police, the SSP said all available manpower and investigative expertise had been mobilised to ensure an early breakthrough in the case.

Senior officers visited the area during the day to oversee the investigation and review the progress of the probe. Officials indicated that investigators were working on vital leads and expressed hope of cracking the case soon.

The incident has sent shockwaves across Kashmir, particularly in Budgam district, where grief and anger were visible among residents following the tragic death of the minor girl.

Police, meanwhile, issued a strong advisory to the public and media fraternity against circulating the identity, photographs or any identifying particulars of the minor victim on social media platforms, stating that disclosure of the identity of a minor victim is prohibited under law.

“It has come to our notice that certain individuals are posting and circulating photographs and identifying particulars of the victim on social media. Such actions are unlawful and may spread misinformation, create public unrest and disturb communal harmony,” Budgam Police said in an official statement.

Police warned that any person found involved in circulating prohibited content or unverified information related to the case would face strict legal action in accordance with the law.

“J&K Police is closely monitoring social media activities related to the case. People are requested not to share or believe unverified or misleading content and to cooperate with the investigating agencies,” the statement added.

By RK NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *