Saksham Scholarship Scheme 2022-23 is an initiative for differently-abled students admitted to the first year of technical degree/diploma courses in any of the AICTE-approved institutions. Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Scheme is being implemented by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) with an aim to encourage and support specially-abled children to pursue technical education. The students will be awarded INR 50,000 per annum for every year of study.
Salient Features of the Scheme
- Total Number of Scholarship-1000 per Annum (500 for Degree and 500 for Diploma).
- The Scholarships for Degree and Diploma are transferable in event of non-availability of eligible applicant in any of the Degree/Diploma level Programme.
- The candidate should be admitted to 1st year of Degree/Diploma course in any of the AICTE approved Institution of respective year through Centralized Admission process of the State/Central Government.
- Specially Abled Student, having disability of not less than 40% and family income not more than 8 lakh per annum during the preceding financial year (in case of married girl, the income of parents/in-laws, whichever is higher will be considered).
- The selection of candidate will be made on merit on the basis of qualifying examination to peruse the respective Technical Degree/Diploma course from any of the AICTE approved institution.
- Amount of scholarship: Tuition Fee of Rs. 30,000/- or at actual, whichever is less and Rs.2000/- per month for 10 months as incidentals charges each year. In case of Tuition fee waiver/reimbursement, Students are eligible to get an amount of Rs. 30,000/- for the purchase of Books/Equipment/Softwares/ Laptop/Desktop/Vehicle/Fee paid towards competitive examination applications forms/exam/ specific equipments/ software’s for visually impaired/ speech and hearing disabled.
- Reservation-15% for SC, 7.5% for ST and 27% for OBC candidate/applicant. This is an attempt to give every young student, who is otherwise specially abled, the opportunity too study further and prepare for a successful future.
An applicant must be a specially-abled student having a disability of not less than 40%, be admitted to the first year of degree/diploma level course or second year of degree/diploma level course through lateral entry in any of the AICTE approved institutions of the respective year and have a family income of less than INR 8 lakh per annum.
All eligible specially-abled students will receive INR 50,000 for every year of study as a lump sum amount towards payment of college fees, purchase of computers, books, stationeries, software, equipment, etc. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges, etc.
Marksheet of Class 10 and 12 (as applicable), Annual family Income certificate for the previous financial year in the prescribed format issued by an official not below the rank of Tahsildar, Admission letter for getting admission in a degree/diploma course issued by the Directorate of Technical Education, Certificate issued by the Director/Principal/Head of the Institute, Disability certificate issued by the competent authority, Receipt of tuition fee, Bank account passbook seeded with the Aadhaar card indicating applicant's photograph, account number, and IFSC code, Caste certificate (applicable for SC, ST, or OBC candidates), Aadhaar card, Duly signed declaration by the parents confirming the accuracy of information provided in the application form.
Visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal, To begin with the registration process, click on the ‘New Registration’ button or www.aicte-pragati-saksham-gov.in , Fill in all required details and register to create a new profile, After successful registration, login again to the portal by using the registered application id and password, Fill in the scholarship application form with all relevant details, Upload all necessary documents in support of your application, Finally, submit the application form.
Student failing to get promoted to the next class/level would forfeit the scholarship. The scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of renewal through National Scholarship Portal by submitting a passing certificate/marksheet with a letter from the Head of the Institution on the online portal. The gap between the year of passing the qualifying examination and the session of admission in the diploma course should not be more than two years. Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for the award of scholarship.
The grant of scholarship is subject to the condition that the student does not receive any financial assistance in the shape of scholarship/any emoluments, salary, stipend, etc. from any other source during her/ his course of study in the Institute. In case of receipt of any financial assistance from any other sources, the scholarship shall be discontinued and the entire amount of the scholarship will have to be refunded to AICTE by D/Draft drawn in favor of “Member Secretary, AICTE” payable at New Delhi.
“I do not have a disability, I have a gift! Others may see it as a disability, but I see it as a challenge. This challenge is a gift because I have to become stronger to get around it, and smarter to figure out how to use it; others should be so lucky.”― Shane E. Bryan.
(M Ahmad is a regular writer for this newspaper and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)