Post by Rupali Datta, RD on Monday, October 17, 2022
Menopause starts in the late forties to early fifties. This is when there is a natural decrease in the reproductive hormone, Estrogen. Symptoms most commonly associated include hot flashes, disturbed sleep, irritability, weight gain, anxiety.
- Eating a balanced diet and taking care of your health was never more important than this stage in life.
- Calcium becomes more important as a decrease in estrogen increases bone demineralization
- Plant proteins are more effective in helping control symptoms as compared to other sources.
- Eating lots of vegetables will provide important vitamins and minerals and compounds that decrease the severity of symptoms.
- Soy contains phytoestrogens, compounds that mimic estrogen, hence help with hot flashes and night sweats
- Go easy on coffee, tea, and alcohol. Hydrate with water
- Sugary foods and drinks, sweets, refined carbs, all add empty calories and need to be controlled to prevent weight gain as the metabolism starts to slow down.
- Exercise helps manage weight and is great for overall health.
Rupali Datta, RD
Founder Diet Decisions
DDPHN, RD, EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEMBER IDA