Native lnventors come up with carbon monoxide detection, ventilation system
About Us | Contact Us | E-Paper
Title :    Text :    Source : 

Native lnventors come up with carbon monoxide detection, ventilation system

Post by on Tuesday, August 3, 2021

First slide
SRINAGAR, Aug 02: The cases of death due to asphyxiation (deaths because of suffocation) is commonplace occurring in Kashmir, especially in winters when the use of heating elements like gas and coal heaters produce a poisonous amount of Carbon monoxide in our houses. Finally, the good news is here. Kashmiri inventors have come up with a solution.
Five Kashmiri scholars, scientists have invented a device system that detects and then ventilates the Carbon monoxide from closed spaces. In the future, the device may also bring relief from apparent danger to life in coal mines and road tunnels where the monoxide levels always remain high.
Carbon monoxide (chemical formula CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, flammable gas that is slightly less dense than air. Carbon monoxide is harmful when breathed because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. Large amounts of Carbon Monoxide can overcome a person in minutes without warning — causing loss of consciousness and apparent suffocation. Therefore the invention by the five Kashmiri inventors is revolutionary in this regard; it boasts of detecting and then automatically cleaning the air.  
Talking to Kashmir Despatch these inventors said that sensors and actuators are attached to both the window and the gas heater. On detecting the high levels of carbon monoxide in the air, the invention closes the gas supply to the heater and automatically opens the window to clear the air.
Bringing laurels to Kashmir, the names of the inventors are Manan Sajad Malik, Farhana Fayaz Batoo, Prof. Rouf-Ul-Islam Bhat, Dr. Abdul Mueed Hafiz, and Jahangeer Aurshad.
While the first four inventors belong to the Department of Electronics and Communication at the Institute of Technology, the University of Kashmir (Zakura Campus), the fifth inventor, Jehangeer Aurshad, is a P.G student at the University of Texas, Austin USA.
The Patent Authority of India has accepted and published the details of the patent by the above-mentioned inventors in the Journal of Patents on 30-07-2021. The inventors, while expressing gratitude, say that their device is revolutionary.
“We are very happy and grateful that we may be able to save lives in the coming times. We are awaiting a grant that would help bring our invention into mass production. The device is cost-effective and could be afforded by the majority of the people,” commented Manan Sajad, one of the inventors while speaking with Kashmir Despatch. 
“We have seen that lots of people lose their lives due to excessive exposure to carbon monoxide. As inventors, and foremost, as a human beings, we were very eager to find a solution to this problem. Fortunately, we have come up with one. Our device is going to save lives all around the globe, especially in Kashmir where the use of gas and coal heaters pose a significant threat to our lives during winters,” Farhana Fayaz, another inventor of the device. added while in conversation with Kashmir Despatch.   
As of now, there are no statistics or substantial research that would be used as a yardstick to measure the scale of Kashmir’s suffocation-related deaths, but the fact of the matter is that these cases don’t happen in isolation.
Pertinently, the most shocking case of death due to asphyxiation in Kashmir was reported on 5 January 2019, from Srinagar’s Bemina area, where a family of five died from inhaling toxic fumes of a gas heater. Accordingly, the inventors hope that if their device is put into mass use, such shocking cases may finally become history in Kashmir. (Courtesy: Kashmir Despatch)

Latest Post