About Us | Contact Us | E-Paper

Mohammad Maqbool Mir: Passionate footballer who died on field

Post by on Sunday, October 3, 2021

First slide
 At around 7:30 on September 28 morning Anjum Maqbool, a teacher by profession, had just arrived home in Alochi Bagh area of Srinagar after going through Cholecystectomy (removal of gallbladder) when she heard that her father has collapsed on the field. 
“I was resting in the bed when suddenly my mobile phone rang to inform me about the devastating news,” she says.
Her father, Mohammad Maqbool Mir, former Physical Director and renowned footballer of his times, was quickly moved to hospital after he suddenly fell unconscious while doing routine football practice at Municipal Park, Jawahar Nagar here.
“Doctors declared him brought dead and told he had suffered a massive cardiac arrest,” said Showkat Ahmad, nephew of Mir.  
“I was doing our routine practice as usual, Maqbool Sahab suddenly fell down on the ground, watching him falling I immediately rushed towards him, pumped his chest repeatedly, but the response was not positive. So we took him to the hospital in his car,” said Showkat, adding that Mir had earlier developed similar heart complications.
As soon as Maqbool’s dead body was brought home, the normal routine life turned into mourning for the whole family.
Anjum, elder daughter of the deceased, said that her mother, as usual, was preparing food for the day, as they received the dead body of their father.
“My mother, Naseema, became numb as dad had left from home just an hour before,” lamented Anjum, adding he was 66-year-old yet passionate about sports. “He would never give up his routine practice schedule.”  
 Mohammad Maqbool Mir was born in Kokar Bazar, Lal Chowk area of Srinagar on August 19, 1949. He did his schooling from SP school and it was from here he started his football journey.
He then joined SP College in 1964. He began his professional football career from ‘Court Road Cub’, one of the top private clubs of 70s.
 It was Mir who recognized the talent of one of the first international footballer from J&K Mohammad Shafi Nari and made him join the same club.
He himself remained in the club till 1978.He played as striker right-out, one of the best of the time. He was master at corner kicks, with his perfect crosses loved by the spectators.
 He later joined Food and Supplies FC for a year .He also played his first All India Inter University Tournament held at Bakshi Stadium Srinagar under the captainship of legendary footballer Mohammad Yousuf Dar.
The tournament was suspended after some disturbances during a match between Kashmir University and Punjab University led to a law and order situation.
“In 1976 Mir went to NIS Patiala to pursue a coaching course and followed it with a masters' degree in 1978,” said Bilal Ahmad of Jammu and Kashmir Football Association (JKFA). In 1979, under KD Thapar, he pursued a diploma in coaching through NIS.
In year 1994 he completed Ph.D from Government Physical Education College Maharashtra.
Mir served as Physical Director at Degree College Sopore, Anantnag Degree College, SP College Srinagar, Government Degree College Rajouri, Degree College Bemina, Amar Singh College and Anantnag Degree College for women.
He dedicated 34 years of his life to the game. He played along and against all top players of that time.
During his coaching career, a large number of players received his guidance and played nationals and other top tournaments of the country.
Presently, he was working as sports writer.
Assistant Secretary JKFA, Bilal Ahmad Punjabi said Mir was one of the leading sports analyst .Through these mediums he continued to serve the game by giving useful advice to the young and budding players.
“He was a humble and decent man, with friendly relations with all other players of his time,” he said.
Mir is survived by his wife Naseema and two daughters Anjum Maqbool and Ambreen Maqbool.

Latest Post