Getting a medical degree has never been and easy task as MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) remains the most preferred course of study by students in Jammu and Kashmir after passing 10+2 in medical stream. In this course, there are the two bachelor degrees in one domain: Bachelor of Medicine and the Bachelor of Surgery.
With regards to studying MBBS, there are 10 medical colleges in Jammu and Kashmir, out of which nine are Government Medical Colleges and only one is private medical college.There are a total of 1050 MBBS seats in Government Medical Colleges in Jammu and Kashmir and 100 MBBS seats at Acharya Shri Chander College of Medical Sciences (ASCOMS) Jammu, the only private medical college offering MBBS admission in Jammu and Kashmir.
List of Government Medical Colleges in JK
1. Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), Srinagar: The medical college established in 1998 has an annual intake of 125 students for MBBS course.
2. Government Medical College Jammu: GMC Jammu was established in 1972 and has an annual intake of 180 students for MBBS course.
3. Government Medical College Srinagar: GMC Srinagar established in 1959 has an annual intake of 180 students for MBBS degree.
4. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Vijaypur Jammu: The MBBS admission at AIIMS Jammu was started in 2021 and it has total intake capacity of 65 students for MBBS.
5. Government Medical College Doda: Established in 2019, GMC Doda has an annual intake of 100 students for MBBS.
6. Government Medical College Rajouri: GMC Rajouri which was established in 2019 has an annual intake of 100 students for MBBS.
7. Government Medical College Kathua: GMC Kathua established in 2019 has an annual intake of 100 students for MBBS.
8. Government Medical College Anantnag: GMC Anantnag established in 2019 has an annual intake of 100 students for MBBS.
9. Government Medical College Baramulla: GMC Baramulla which was established in 2019 has an annual intake of 100 students for MBBS course.
All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) Awantipora yet to start MBBS admission: Notably, the work on All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) Awantipora in south Kashmir is going on. It will become the 10th Government Medical College in J&K once made functional. In June this year, Chief Secretary, Dr Arun Kumar Mehta reviewed the status of AIIMS Awantipora and stressed on starting the first batch of students by December this year.
Recently, Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Manoj Sinha in his independent day speech said that the 22 proposals worth Rs. 4400 crore have been approved for establishing a Medicity which shall also increase the number of MBBS seats in the UT by a whopping 1000.
Private Medical College in JK
In Jammu and Kashmir private medical colleges participate solely in state counselling procedures and not in all India Quota.
Acharya Shri Chander College of Medical Sciences (ASCOMS) Jammu: The medical college which was established in 1995 has annual intake capacity of 100 students for MBBS course.
Role of BOPEE
The Board of Professional Entrance Examination (BOPEE), Srinagar, J&K is responsible for conducting State counselling for allocation of 85 percent of MBBS Seats in Government and private Medical Colleges under State Quota.
However, Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) is the governing body for filling rest 15 percent seats through All India Quota seats in Government Medical College and 100 percent Seats in Deemed University. Those who qualified NEET are eligible to apply in both the counselling processes.
Seat allocation is being done in multiple phases both in All India counselling and State counselling. This is because many seats become vacant due to withdrawal of seats by the students for not getting college of their choice, not able to arrange the funds for fee and lack of proof of their category under which they applied etc. Once the dates for reporting to the college/fee deposits/submitting documents is passed all such seats are made available for the next rounds.
The BOPEE, J&K prepares and publishes the state merit list of each category. Students can assess their chance to get college of their choice based on previous year's cut offs of that college. If you want to be sure about the chances, it is recommended to use MOKSH College Predictor which utilizes Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning technology. Also, this college predictor will give you an idea and will predict the college possible for you based on your current NEET ranking, reservation category and other quotas applicable for you.
Eligibility: For the domiciles of J&K, the eligibility criteria for MBBS in Jammu and Kashmir are as follows:
1. You should have completed 17 years of age by the 31st December of the year you're applying for admission in.
2. You need to qualify NEET.
3. 10+2 with minimum 50% if you are unreserved, 45% for general-physically handicapped (PH), 40% if you belong to reserved category (Scheduled Tribes (ST), Scheduled Caste (SC), Other Backward Class (OBC) and SC/ST/OBC-PH) in PCB (Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology) recognized by a board.
4. Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology must be included in your core subjects.
The procedure to apply for admission commences with filing the Jammu and Kashmir admission form. To get the application form, visit the official Jammu and Kashmir MBBS admission portal known as Board of Professional Entrance Examination (BOPEE). While filing the Jammu and Kashmir MBBS admission online application form, the candidate must enter their personal details, contact details, academic details etc. Furthermore, the medical aspirant must ensure that all the information provided by them in MBBS admission online application form is correct.
Step-by-step approach to fill application form
1. Visit the official website of Board of Professional Entrance Examination, Jammu and Kashmir.
2. After going through the official BOPEE website, you must fill the Jammu and Kashmir admission online application.
3. First set of details include the candidates' personal details such as name, father's name and mother's name, date of birth, gender etc.
4. After filing the first set of the form, you need to fill your contact details, through which you can get notifications on any kind of development in J&K counselling and admission procedure.
5. An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. The OTP will help you to set the new password.
6. After filling all the information successfully, you will go to the next step, to fill the information about your domicile, category and academic details, such as your scores in 12th standard, subjects studied, result etc.
7. After filing each set, do not forget to click on save and continue.
8. Fill the details cautiously, and head towards uploading the essential documents.
9. The final step is to pay a certain amount that goes towards Jammu and Kashmir MBBS admission form fee. The amount that is needed to be paid is Rs 1500 after paying the required amount you have successfully applied for the Jammu and Kashmir MBBS.
10. Now take a printout of the registration receipt of the Jammu and Kashmir MBBS admission and keep it for future reference.
1. 10th and 12th standard certificate.
2. 10th and 12th standard mark sheet.
3. NEET hall ticket.
4. NEET Scorecard.
5. Birth certificate.
6. Identity proof (Aadhaar card, Driving License, Passport, Voter ID).
7. Passport photographs (The photograph must be the same as those used in the NEET application form and hall ticket).
8. Fee payment receipt.
9. Printout of the MBBS admission form.
Documents that are subject to applicability
1. Reservation category certificate.
2. Domicile certificate.
3. PWD (Persons with Disability) certificate.
4. Gap period affidavit.
5. Income certificate.
(Note: This is part-1 of the series on medical education)