How to make Kashmiri pickle at home?
Post by Syeda Rafiyah on Sunday, October 16, 2022
There are many types of Kashmiri pickle (Anchaar) consumed and prepared across Kashmir valley. Pickle remains a priority food item consumed in winter months. Many people in the valley consume various varieties of pickle throughout the year.
Traditionally, pickle is made in autumn months and is eaten throughout the winter months until March.Monjji Haakh (Collard greens) Anchar is the most liked variety of pickle in the valley, followed by pickle made by carrot mixed with cauliflower, lotus root and radish.
During winters, Anchaar is usually consumed with rice and rajma daal (Kidney beans). The tradition of sharing Anchaar with relatives and neighbours continues till date.
Ingredients used for making pickle
Monjji Haakh, Garlic (mixed with water), Green chili, Salt, Red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Ginger powder, Cumin powder, Cinnamon sticks, Black cardamom, Mustard Oil , Vinegar, Mustard seeds, Coriander seeds etc.
Process of making:
- Let’s take Monjji Haakh and wash them with hot water to remove dust particles.
- After washing cut vegetables into small pieces, and cut their stems separately; these stems taste really tangy once ready. Keep the vegetables to dry for a day before mixing salt with it.
- Now keep all the spices or ingredients ready.
- Take a bucket or a large plate and put the vegetables in it and mix it with the spices.
- Typically hands are used to mix it well. Please wear the gloves while mixing the spices.
- Now, take a clean and dry jar to put the mixed vegetable. Many people still prefer to use tradition earthen pots or glass jars.
- Before putting the vegetables mixed with spices in the jar rub it with mustard oil which gives the pickle good quality and life.
- Finally, cover the jar with polythene or clean cloth and keep it in direct sunlight for 5 to 7 days. In the case of less sunlight, keep the container outside for at least 10 days.
- After 2 weeks, open the cover of the container and pickle is ready.