Higher reaches in Kashmir receive fresh snowfall
About Us | Contact Us | E-Paper
Title :    Text :    Source : 

Higher reaches in Kashmir receive fresh snowfall

MeT predicts inclement weather till Dec 1

Post by Irfan Yattoo on Thursday, November 30, 2023

First slide
Srinagar, Nov 29: Higher reaches in Kashmir valley received fresh spell of snowfall on Wednesday, while MeT department has forecasted inclement weather may likely continue for next 24 hours in the region, officials said.
Director Meteorological Department Mukhtar Ahmad told Rising Kashmir that moderate snowfall occurred in higher reaches and light rain lashed plains. Thunderstorms accompanied by strong gusty winds were also reported at isolated places in the valley, he said.
“Under its influence of fresh western disturbance, there is possibility of light to moderate rains in plains and snowfall during next 24-36 hours in the region,” he said.
Ahmad said that temporary Disruption of surface transportation over hilly areas and important passes like Zojila, Sinthan Pass, Mughal road etc during 29th evening to 1st December forenoon.
He said upper reaches of Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Keran, Machil sectors experienced fresh snowfall resulting in considerable drop in temperature.
“There will be significant improvement in minimum temperature by 1-3°C till 1st December and thereafter temperature may fall by 2-4°C,” he added.
As per the Kashmir Weather Forecast, the main activity of the weather system is possible on Thursday during this period few higher reaches of South Kashmir and Pir Panjal mountains can receive heavy snowfall.
“There is a 40-50% possibility of light snow over plains of South Kashmir. In Central Kashmir only 30% chances and in North Kashmir plains only 20% chances of snowfall,” he said.
As per MeT data, the minimum temperature has fallen down several degrees in Kashmir but settled above the freezing point at most places as the higher reaches of the valley brace for light to moderate snowfall.
Gulmarg and Pahalgam registered sub-zero minimum temperatures on Tuesday night, Gulmarg settled at minus 1.8 degrees Celsius, Pahalgam recorded a low of minus 1.5 degrees Celsius.
Srinagar recorded a minimum of 0.8 degrees Celsius, over three degrees down from 3.9 degrees Celsius the previous night.
A traffic police spokesman said traffic movement on Srinagar-Jammu highway remained normal on Wednesday and vehicles were allowed from both sides to move to respective destinations.
A traffic police spokesman said that subject to fair weather and better road conditions on Friday, LMVs Passenger/Private Cars/HMVs/Load Carriers shall be allowed from both sides on Jammu-Srinagar NHW (NH-44) viz Jammu towards Srinagar and vice-versa. Commuters are advised to follow lane discipline, he said.
On Sonamarg-Leh road, vehicular movement shall be allowed from both sides viz Srinagar towards Kargil and vice-versa. LMVs followed by HMVs shall be allowed from Minamarg towards Srinagar at 0730 hrs. to 1100 hrs.
 Similarly, LMVs followed by HMVs shall be allowed from Sonamarg towards Kargil at 1300 hrs to 1700 hrs. No vehicle shall be allowed after cut off timings, the spokesman said.
“ SFs Convoy, plying from Srinagar to Kargil, shall leave Srinagar at 0800 hrs. SFs Convoy plying from Drass to Srinagar shall plan their movement in such a manner so that Civil Traffic doesn't get disturbed,” spokesman said.
The vehicular movement on Mughal Road shall be allowed from both sides viz. Poonch towards Shopian and vice versa. These vehicles shall be allowed from Behramgalla (Buffliaz) and Herpora (Shopian) at 0600 hrs. upto 1800 hrs. No vehicle shall be allowed after cut off timings, it said.