Breast feeding tips for new mothers
Post by on Monday, May 2, 2022
Breastfeeding is one of the most effective ways to ensure child health and survival. Breast milk is the ideal food for infants. It is safe and contains antibodies that help protect against many illnesses. There are a number of things you can do to improve your chances for breastfeeding success.
1. Keeping your baby with you after the birth will promote a feeling of closeness and a strong hormonal response that is linked with breastfeeding success.
2. After few days signals are sent from breast to brain, hormones are released from the brain that help in production of breast milk and develop bond between you and baby.
3. Breastfeeding is a skill that both you and your baby are learning and for some mothers and babies it is harder than it is for others. If you have difficulties doing so you can visit a breastfeeding counsellor.
4. While establishing your breastfeeding your baby will feed between 7 and 12 times in 24 hours. This will settle over time. Frequent and effective feeding will help you to make enough milk for your baby.
5. There are many benefits to having your baby in the room with you in the hospital and at home; including bonding, learning, prevention of infections and also that it reduces the risk of sudden infant death.
Dr Amir Iqbal Lone
Gynecologist, J&K Health Services