A) Develop a routine
1. Try to go to bed at the same time every night.Â
2. Avoid using mobile, tablet, laptop, Watching TV at least 1 hour before going to bed, Blue light from the TV, mobile phone, or tablet can have an impact onÂ bodyâ€™s circadian rhythm, try reading a book instead.
3. Taking a soothing bath. Applying mildÂ fragrant soothing moisturizer after bath.Â
4.Try to avoid sleeping in afternoon.Â
B) Diet and exercise:
1.Drink plenty of water (minimum 3 litres) throughout the day & minimize drinking after 7 p.m. Try to avoid caffeine starting in the late afternoon.
2. Eat a healthy dinner, but try to enjoy it slowly to avoid gastritis. Have early dinner (between 7-8 pm). Avoid fried, spicy, extra salty (chips or pocketed food) ,oily food in dinner.
3. Have A warm glass of milk before bed.Â Â
4. Keep something like roasted peanuts , roasted Chana,Dry fruits,dates in a bottle near bed for midnight cravings also water bottle.Â
5. Stay active during the day so you can rest at night. A walk for 10-15 min after Dinner .Â
C) Comfort is key:
1.Lie on left lateral side, tuck a pillow between your knees, and use one under belly as it gets bigger.
2. Use comfortable clothing .Â
3. Keep room cool, dark, and quiet for optimal sleeping conditions.Â
D) Distract yourself:
If youâ€™re lying in bed and are wide awake, get up and distract yourself with something until youâ€™re feeling tired enough to fall asleep. Itâ€™s more effective than lying in bed and staring at the clock.
Dr Aamir Lone
J&K Health Department