Divorce or Talaq means to break a bond between two souls who earlier were combined through Nikah (Fathul Bari by Hafiz Ibni Hajar RA). Word Talaq existed in pre-Islamic period also and in present days it is prevalent too.
According to Sheikh Soleh Alfuzan, Talaq is permitted only when, “A woman’s virtues, character and morals aren’t upto the mark and despite trying every legal means she isn’t in a position to correct herself.
Talaq is illegal when pronounced without a solid reason. Remember Talaq invites the wrath of Allah. Like in Nikah, there are well defined rules in Talaq as well. Nikah isn’t a game that you break whenever you wish instead it is a kind of worship. Very few people are pleased with the better relationship between husband and wife. Majority of the people add fuel to the relationships when these are strained.
Following are some of the causes of increasing divorce rates among couples:
- It is the story of every household that when husband treats his spouse as per Sunnah either his father or mother or both feel displeased. It is strongly prohibited for the men of faith to provoke husband or wife against them each other
- Sometimes wife demands more than what the husband can afford. In such conditions relations get weakened. Instead of one’s demands it is better to prioritize spouse’s aspirations in order to strengthen the relations
- Black magic is still prevalent in our society. Many fake faith healers have opened the devilish shops of black magic only to loot the people. Satan’s biggest achievement is to separate a wife from her husband
- Extramarital relationship is another evil which is burning our homes. Some people marry a virtuous, simple and unfashionable woman. But outside home, they spent time and enjoy with beautiful, fashionable and good looking woman. So at the time of tying nuptials if Islamic perspectives are kept into consideration, thousands of families are saved from getting shattered. It is strongly prohibited for us to adopt the satanic way in order to save ourselves from his nefarious designs
- Our brides aren’t our maids but the queens. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) says, “Daughters are the part of our liver.” When our daughters become wives or daughter-in-law and they are tortured by domestic violence instead of treating her humanly. It proves our beast nature
- Mehar is the exclusive property of wife. Sometimes selfish husbands demand huge dowries from wife and even grab the Mehar as well. This is another evil
- Though Talaq is a curse, sometimes it becomes a blessing also. You aren’t bound to follow your parents either in case they order something un-Islamic. So is the case in Nikah as well. If husband compels his wife to do un-Islamic things, it is preferred for the wife to seek separation from her husband
- If the impotency of the husband is proved after the two are married, it is allowed for the wife to seek divorce
- Misunderstanding between husband and wife is biggest cause of divorce. It is better for both the individuals to respect each other’s aspirations, tastes, likes and dislikes. Talaq pronounced hurriedly without giving enough time to individuals for mutual understanding often proves a catastrophe for both the individuals. Instead of using the convective words, if humanistic environment is synthesized, it can prove a blessing
In order to live a happy and contended life, it is necessary to be glued to truthfulness and reality instead of using fake and deceitful tactics. For smooth functioning of the home it is necessary to help each other even in domestic affairs.
Moreover, studying Islamic literature of scholars like Imran Ayoub Lahori, Mohammed Iqbal Geelani and Mohammed Bin Saeed regarding Nikah and its duties can also help you in living a contended life. May almighty Allah keep us and our families in his own protection! Ameen
Author teaches at Government Higher Secondary School, Anderwan, Ganderbal