About Us | Contact Us | E-Paper

Police initiates inquiry, suspends official in Natipora youth’s death case

Investigations going, strict action will be taken against culprits: SSP

Post by on Wednesday, July 13, 2022

First slide
Srinagar, July 12: Police have initiated an inquiry and suspended an official in the death case of 21year-old youth from Natipora, Srinagar whose family members alleged of “foul play” in his death.

On Saturday, Muslim Muneer son of Muneer Ahmad, a resident of Budshah Nagar was called to police station for questioning in a scooty theft case.

According to the police, during the questioning the accused’s health deteriorated as he seemed to be under the influence of drugs so they immediately handed Muslim over to his family.

The spokesperson when they handed over Muslim Muneer to the family the family confessed that he is a frequent user of illicit drugs.

However, the family contests the police’s version and claims that the deceased was a driver by profession and not involved in any crime.

They alleged that their son died due to the police torture in the police station where he was questioned for a crime that he did not even commit.

Two days after his death, police initiated a formal inquiry into the matter and placed one official under suspension while a post-mortem report of the deceased is awaited.

“Srinagar Police reiterates its resolve to conduct the departmental inquiry and proceedings of 174 CrPC in a professional and transparent manner without any favour or bias,” said a police spokesperson.

The spokesperson further said that Muslim Muneer was called to the Police Station Nowgam on 09/07/22 for being involved in a theft case under FIR No. 95/2022. The case pertains to the theft of a scooty.

“The suspect was called to police station on the basis of CCTV footage wherein two men were seen taking the scooty away in Nowgam-Natipora area,” the spokesperson said.

“As the person seemed to be under the influence of drugs at the time of reporting at the Nowgam Police Station for examination in the case, his family was called who also confirmed that the person is a habitual drugs user,” he added.

Considering these facts within a couple of hours on same day afternoon, Muslim was handed over to his family with all legal formalities. Later, it came to fore that he died in the evening at around 5 p.m.

As soon as the news was received, inquest proceedings were started in PS Chanpora under Sec 174 of CrPC to find out the reason of death.

Earlier, the family of the deceased had alleged that their son was killed by police torture while the police rejected the claims. The family has also demanded an impartial inquiry in the matter.

"We want investigation in the case and justice for the bereaved family," said Zeeshan Ahmad, cousin of deceased Lone

Senior Superintendent (SSP) Rakesh Balwal said the youth died due to drug overdose.

“During questioning his health condition got worse as he had taken heavy drugs and was not responding well. After that, he was handed over to his family members. They took him to hospital where he died,” he said.

He said that the investigations are going and assured that culprits will be dealt strictly if found involved in the case.

Latest Post