Heart Health: Ideal Exercise for heart health
Post by on Wednesday, July 21, 2021
1. 10,000 steps / day of walking
2. Moderate exercise – achieving 50-70% of maximum predicted heart rate (Maximum heart rate is calculated as 220 – Age)
3. Exercise 30 minutes / day 5 times a week or 150 minutes / week
4. Isotonic exercise is good like walking, slow jogging, biking, swimming, hiking or light dancing; but in addition also opt for some stretching exercise and some weight bearing exercises.
5. Yoga is a good comprehensive exercise involving isotonic, weight bearing, stretching, co-ordination and balancing activities. It can be done 1-2 times / week, a session of 45-60 minutes or so. 6. Stay hydrated during exercise
7. Be mindful of extreme weather conditions: Extreme hot, cold or humid conditions should be avoided.
Dr Sundeep Mishra,
Prof of Cardiology, AIIMS New Delhi