Heart Health: FOODS TO AVOID IN RHYTHM DISTURBANCES (ARRHYTHMIAS)
Post by on Tuesday, August 3, 2021
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the commonest type of arrhythmia that affects the upper chambers of the heart. The electrical impulses that control these chambers fire in a disorganized way, which leads to an irregular heartbeat. AF itself is not a life threatening condition; however, it can increase the risk of stroke, blood clots, and congestive heart failure.
Foods to avoid include those that directly trigger symptoms and raise the risk of heart disease and cholesterol.
1. Caffeine could be a personal trigger for AF & therefore caffeinated drinks like large quantity of tea and coffee & particularly high caffeine containing energy drinks like red bull, sting, monster etc should be avoided.
2. Alcohol even moderate amount should be avoided.
3. Red meats – Red meats contain saturated fat, which can raise cholesterol levels, which is a risk factor for AF.
4. Sugary foods and drinks – large quantity of sugar can trigger AF.
5. Keto diets – Low carb diets like keto diets may also increase risk of AF.
6. Processed foods – have large quantities of salt which can precipitate AF episodes.
Dr. Sundeep Mishra, Professor of Cardiology, AIIMS Delhi